It’s so easy to find fault with January. The snow is not so pretty now (if you have it at all- we don’t). All is bare and the biting air is far from inviting.
But there’s an upside: Roaring fires, cozy sweaters and comfort food. When could we ever enjoy these things if the weather was always fine?
Not convinced? Try a cup of this Bergamot hot chocolate. It’s so soulfully rich and and creamy you might want winter to last a little longer. You’ll certainly want to postpone bathing suit season if you consume enough of it!
Bergamot Hot Chocolate
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cream
1 Earl Grey tea bag (we used a spoonful of Wittard’s loose tea in a Finum tea filter)
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, cut up
1. Place milk and 1/4 cup cream into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and add tea. Steep for several minutes then remove tea bag and bring to a boil again.
3. Add chocolate, mixing with a wire whisk, and remove from heat.
4. Pour into a small mug and finish with a dollop of whipped cream and a pinch of cinnamon.
Then find a good book, a soft throw and a view of the icy outdoors. And smile, because you just got one up on winter.
– Words and photos by Lori-Anne Poirier