As much as I hate saying goodbye to summer, I have to admit that a little part of me thrilled at the overcast sky this morning, the current wind gusts and the temptation to put on some socks and take out a sweater (note: I am currently in shorts and a t-shirt).
While I love all four seasons in their own ways – as with children, I find it difficult to pick a favourite – autumn definitely has its own special way of stirring my soul. I don’t know whether it’s the rich palette of colours, the cozy fashions or the melancholy underpinnings that get me right through the heart, every time.
Here are some of the things I am most looking forward to this fall:
* Cold, crisp apples, right off the tree
* Bowl after bowl of hot, nourishing soup
* Playing in the leaves
* Hot apple cider topped with whipped cream and caramel (and a cinnamon stir stick)
* School supplies (even though no one is going back to school)
* All manner of gourds
* Earlier (but not too early) sunsets and a much more reasonable appearance of the sun in the morning
* Donning my favourite black beret
* The bringing to fruition of some fun, new things for The Pear Tree (stay tuned)!
What’s your favourite season? And what are you most looking forward to this September?
– Words and photos by Lori-Anne Poirier